Wakefield Music Services gives tuition on a vast range of instruments. If there’s an instrument you want to learn then we probably teach it! Our instrumental family pages will give you more information about various instruments.
Increasingly many children begin their instrumental musical journey in our free whole class instrumental lessons in junior school. These ‘First Access’ lessons often provide a great launch into small group lessons for many budding young musicians
Although our instrumental teachers work in nearly all schools and academies across the Wakefield district not every family of instruments is taught in each school as this is dependent on demand. For children taking up lessons directly with Wakefield Music Services please see enrolment, fees and charges. Pupils wishing to take up lessons in a school or academy will first need to discuss availability, options and costs with the relevant person such as the Head of Music, Music Coordinator or Headteacher.
Although the majority of provision is for young people, some lessons and groups are also available for adults at Manygates Music Centre
Please look through the following ‘frequently asked questions’ for further information:
- How do I choose the right instrument for my child?
- When will my child’s music lessons take place?
- How many lessons will my child receive and how are music lesson group sizes determined?
- What happens if my child does not receive the guaranteed minimum of 30 lessons?
- What happens if my child is away from school and misses a music lesson?
- What happens if the school is closed for a Training Day, or my child is away on a school trip on the day of his/her music lesson?
- How often should my child practise their musical instrument?
- For how long should my child practise with their musical instrument?
- Will my child need any books or other equipment to help with their music lessons?
- Are there any groups or ensembles that my child can attend?
- Will there be opportunities for my child to perform on his/her instrument at concerts?
- Will my child be able to take music examinations?
- How is my child assessed and how will I know how much progress they are making?
- My child does not have music tuition with Wakefield Music Services. Can they still attend a Music Centre or Central Ensemble?
- Will my child have access to a musical instrument to use?
- Do you teach adults and can they attend a Music Centre?
- How do I cancel my child’s instrument tuition or attendance at an ensemble or Music Centre?